View Single Post
Old 05-08-2010, 06:42 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: 5 speed swap dead, need help!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon770 View Post
Ok so than as I take it I can just use any wrx non turbo tranny 5 speed change out the clutch fork and mount. Can I use the clutch, pressure plate, driveline And shifter linkage off of my setup? I just don't want to have to buy all those again as I already have 600$ in them alone. Any one know where I can just buy the internals for that case already in my car that will hold up to the power my car is producing? What internals will I have to replace besides the ones that are already ruined to hold up to this motor under rough driveing? If I just go with a wrx tranny what year tranny would verge best for this change?
You can NOT use a WRX tranny with a cable, but you CAN use a Outback/ Legacy/Forester hydraulic tranny by swapping out the clutch fork (and moving the pivot bolt) all TURBO'd Subarus use a different type hydraulic clutch set-up which CAN NOT be swapped to a cable, but most newer NON-Turbo Subarus use a Hydrulic clutch that CAN be swapped to a cable (Clear as mud yet)?

Either way the shifter linkage, and crossmember and driveshaft will work on ANY Subaru 5-speed, but if you use a Turbo'd Subaru Tranny,(such as a WRX or Turbo Legacy) you will need to re-do the pedals
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"