View Single Post
Old 05-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Engine braking and oil consumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
You might have a good idea with your PCV comment. The PCV opens to vent the crank when you're under lots of vacuum. And what generates vacuum? Engine braking.

If your PCV is eating oil, a long coast down from Rose will certainly accelerate the issue when compared to driving on the freeway under throttle. I don't know if simply replacing the PCV will address this, but it can't hurt to try.

Actually it probably will hurt to try... it will hurt your knuckles, because it's a ***** to get a wrench on that PCV to replace it. I think you pretty much have to bend a wrench into a custom tool to do it. I've had a spare PCV in my toolbox for like 3 years now, and have yet to get around to swapping it because it's so hard to get to.
Its funny you say that, because I have one too that has been in my center console for a year now. The hose that connects to it is rock hard from age so Im skuurd to try to pop it off and break it, making a giant vacuum leak until I pull the whole manifold. No thanks lol

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.