View Single Post
Old 05-07-2010, 12:11 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Svx Models, How Many Produced?

Ron et al

I have moved this thread to Registration. It is very important. As well as being full of WIN! as already noted.

To hark back to the issues of VINs I want to add some extra detail on that.

The Applied Model Code, the AMC, while it is a very good birth certificate giving detail of the intended market, the year, and trim/options/equipment, this information alone is not enough for the Registry. I'll explain why.

The VIN number is unique to each vehicle. However, because there were a number of production sequences, then we will find in fact that there is more than one SVX carrying the identifier CXW-002345 for example. There is probably one of these in the US, one in Japan, one in Australia and probably one in Europe. For the Network to register a car and uniquely identify it as being a vehicle "known to the SVX World Network" we need the whole VIN to keep this record in place.

A long time ago I myself voiced the same view that it was unsafe to publish full VINs. Most pooh poohed the idea, but some are as paranoid as me about it.

The Registration database, the main spreadsheet with all these records on board, that record is absolutely confidential and the Network will never publish or distribute this record because we have to remain within data protection guidelines for all legislations where owners reside. This is an onerous responsibility but we abide by it for the protection of our members.

The rationale for Registration is obvious; the Network can provide members with documentation that their vehicle is a "known" vehicle to the SVX club, and this documentation is an aid to verifying that the car is cherished and is worthy of classic or collectible status.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl