View Single Post
Old 05-04-2010, 06:01 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Want to repaint mine... Some questions...

I had mine repainted a couple of years back. Changed the colour. Paid just over 3K. It looks good but when you really get up close you can see lots of little things which should not be there. Only a critical eye would notice.

No glass was removed and you'd never know when you look around the edges.

Pointers. Be sure to spell out in niggling detail what you want done on every panel. For example; trunk lid to be removed and area around trunk seal and rear light to have same finish and quality as exterior. Door jambs & sills to have same finish and quality as exterior. etc. If you want trim removed, the gaskets/seals/clips often rip/break. Spec whether you want them replaced or reused or to check with you first. This can be done after everything is off. Some are quite expensive. The plastic clips which hold our door seals on are different than most. Make sure the right ones are used to replace them. There are different grades of paint from each manufacturer. Spec the one you want. Same for clear coats. I used Dupont and chose their show grade clear.

Spec that you want the car painted as one continuous job. Not to be done as an on again off again project between other jobs. Many shops treat painting as a way to take up slack. The lag between work creates problems of continuity as many people work on the job at varying times.

Be sure to give it a good light test before you pick it up. IE look along all lines of the car in proper and various light to see that there is no waviness in the sanding, orange peel in the finish, variation in the metal flake etc etc. Get a time period clearly defined during which you can report deficiencies.

The only other thing I can say is that a few months after getting your car back you will have stone chips and other driver hazard blemishes regardless of the cost and quality of the paint. The repaint will not stand up like the factory one and chips will look worse. Keep that in the back of your mind.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.