View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 06:58 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Any Other "Uni-Directional" Wheels??

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
Mnay of the early Hondas (1985-2001) had directional wheels. Click HERE

And while many directional wheels can be used on either side in pairs, the SVX is the only wheel I have come across where the correct direction is provided (Evidenced by the "L" cast into the left-side wheel and nothing on the right-side wheel)

Thanks John. It's interesting that a Honda Coupe of the same era had directional rims.

If you are old enough to cast your mind back to that era, the Honda Prelude was already in a marketing space that Fuji/Subaru craved to enter with the SVX. The Prelude was much beloved of young monied professionals who liked high technology vehicles with style. Honda had already gained acceptance with urban professionals, this was exactly the market the SVX was meant to capture.

It is interesting then that Subaru chose rims for the SVX with different symmetry for left and right, just like Honda. This proclaimed that the design was "bespoke".

Considering the other rims available for the SVX were not "handed" and were almost closed out like a Mercedes rim with no obvious ventilation system, I have always felt that the factory contention that our standard rims aided brake cooling was marketing hype, designed merely to differentiate and shift the technology upmarket.

Our OEM wheels will keep the brakes just as cool whether mounted normally or "backwards" I feel.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl