View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX
Re: with or without a resonator

Funny story:

Knowing that the SoCal meet is just a week away I couldn't bear the thought of my exhaust buzzing the entire way up the parking garage to the roof of the Peterson. Everyone would have heard me coming the whole way. So I swung by a little independent shop down the road from work and asked the guy what his thoughts were about replacing the resonator. He said "we'll take a look." So I walk around the corner to call work and say I'd be a couple minutes late and when I get back the guy had sawed the resonator off and was looking into it. Within 10 min he'd welded in some straight pipe and was lowering the car.

Keep in mind, I hadn't even requested any work, just asked for an estimate. So I ask him what it'll cost and he said he'd take $50 cash. Well I didn't have any on me, so he said I could just come back and pay him later. I went to the bank, grabbed the money, and headed back (just call me Honest Abe).

I would have preferred a replacement resonator, but for $50 and 15 min I really don't mind the work he did. The welds look great! It's got a bit more growl than before, but compared to the buzz it sounds like a million bucks. I haven't had a chance to open her up yet and hear the full range. I know it's no Stebro, but you get what you pay for (even if you never asked for it in the first place).
'92 LS-L "Bandit" #362 formerly dark teal, repainted by prev owner
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Buying parts is like car payments. Someday she'll be all mine.