View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010, 09:14 AM

Re: What is happening with SVXWN?

I hope this place stays at least a bit vital and social.

I hope my purchase of a slightly rough SVX won't preclude my fiscal possibility of buying a much nicer one.

I did not expect SVX to have the profound effect on me that it has, even a rough old paint-damaged and accident damaged one like I have.

I used to think that you needed to tolerate rough suspension for good handling.

I used to think turbos were always preferable. "moar power!", and all that.

The SVX isn't rough. The SVX isn't that overly complicated or possibly an engine time-bomb if the turbo isn't just right.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't wanting a newer car, something with parts in stock, and maybe even warranty in-effect. Something with 20-year newer tech, and possibly more mechanical commonality for easier maintenance and parts availability.

But I can't think of a better car than SVX, of it's type. AWD GT Coupes are rare as it is, and Subaru has abandoned the genre for the last 13 years, and it's upcoming coupe won't be nearly similar.

G37x is even heavier, but probably the closest. A5 3.2 is even more expensive and heavier.

Neither are as uniquely thought-out, nor as sleek. Neither have a flat 6 for low height, and boxer smoothness.

996 Carrera 4S is more expensive, even used, and Porsches take $$$$$$ to maintain.

SVX really is a unique piece. I hope my driver lasts a good long time... and I hope to have the chance to buy another, better example to convert to a manual gearbox, and keep nicer, longer.

Nobody seems like they are really interested in building a real successor.

I really hope this forum and community is going to continue to be around, both for technical, and for social reasons.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.