View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 02:12 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Tell Me This Isnt a Transmission Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
One important thing to keep in mind is that when changing the front differential gear ratio, the rear diff must be changed to match it. Otherwise your tires will attempt to rotate at different speeds. This is catastrophic for the parts involved. I have never done this on an SVX, but my understanding is this often requires driveshaft modification as well. (shortening of the driveshaft). More information on this can be found here using the search function.

And while 4.11 and 4.44 gears will help your launch time and make you quicker off the line, your engine will be at a higher RPM at cruising speed.
The driveshaft only needs to be modified for doing a manual swap.
4.11 gears have proven to fail not long after a swap as the gear ratio isn't high enough to overcome the weight, torque, and TCU programming of the SVX.
4.44 gears will actually improve your city mileage by about 2 mpg as it takes less power to get the car moving from a stop while it will decrease on the highway but only by about 1 mpg. Also 4.44 swaps have been proven to hold up for extended periods even with "spirited" driving. Depending on where you live, I can get 4.44 transmissions and rear differential with right around or under 100k for about $500 or slightly less. They can be found in just about any Subaru from 96 to mid-year 98 equipped with a 2.5. Your safest bet is asking around for a transmission from a 97 Legacy Outback, GT, a couple others that I can't think of right now.