View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010, 07:39 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Re: Tell Me This Isnt a Transmission Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiftySVX View Post
Not really. If the fluid is overfilled that is one issue. If the cooler is too restrictive this is another issue. Depends on who overfilled it. If they did it when they flushed it, or if it was done when the cooler and filter were installed.

The flush is not a "backflush". There is no difference between flushing the car and idling the car, except that the machine collects the dirty fluid from the output line on the cooler circuit and replaces it with equal amounts and pressure of new fluid on the cooler return line.

It is possible the person who did it overfilled it in this process, if it is some random, cheaply priced shop they likely have an old machine that doesn't work well, and someone they pulled of the street working on it. You would not believe the people working in some of these places. They probably know less about transmissions than most; That's why these places are cheaper. THE FINAL STEP IN A TRANS FLUSH PROCEDURE IS TO CHECK FLUID LEVEL. No one I know and consider competent that performs this service would skip or be unaware of this step. This is why I think the shop should be held liable. If I overfilled your trans and you came back with a trans problem, it would get fixed on the shop to your satisfaction. Again, this is why I chose to move from an independent to a dealership.

Our machine at work is state of the art, and there is a rep that comes by weekly to check its operation. If we ever thought there was a problem with the machine, or it was not in perfect condition, it would be replaced in a matter of hours. This is how it works at dealerships.

Our dealership gets vehicles towed in all the time, sometimes repairable easily due to their poor service practices and sometimes requiring very costly repairs due to their ignorance or use of an incompatible fluid or part. We used to see this alot when toyota changed fluids.

I would be interested to know what kind of shop did the work.

In summary, yes if it was a not dealership or a quality independent shop, then it is more than possible they messed it up. If it is a dealer or a quality shop, it is relatively unlikely. I have done thousands and thousands of trans flushes in the past 10 years and never once had a problem.
I can only go on what information I have. I don't know the inner workings of how the flush works. But I have heard of people who mess this up causing more harm then good. But it sounds like it was a issue that happened at the shop like you said.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles