View Single Post
Old 12-13-2009, 08:40 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: ? 16" SNOW tires and rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
A 205/55R16 would be the same diameter as the stock 225/50R16 tire. Like it has been mentioned though, a narrower tire is better suited for winter.

I actually have a set of 205/55R16 Firestone WinterForce tires on my Mazda MX-6, and it gets around great. If I were to buy some for the SVX, I would buy the exact same thing for it, same size and all. I work at a tire shop, and have mounted more than a few sets of the WinterForce tires. I have heard NO complaints, and I am of the opinion that there is not a better tire for the money as far as snow tires are concerned.

A skinnier tire "sinks in" better, and can get more traction for itself, whereas a wider tire doesn't put as much pressure on the ground, so it doesn't get as much "bite" you could say.
Im sorry, I sell those, and I think theyre absolute garbage.

Most wear out by the end of the first season, and they lack the siping that higher quality tires have...... Firestone just recently put their name on these. They do have an aggressive tread but as far as snow traction, you would see a marked increase if you tried something like a Blizzak, or Continental Extreme Winter contact, which have a far superior siping pattern.

Most people I sell to that have used the Winterforce request a different tire lol, they are better than an all-terrain but as far as quality, you get hwat you pay for.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.