View Single Post
Old 12-08-2009, 03:03 PM

Re: Wheels that fit the SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
SVX lugs work just fine on steelie rims
Only because steelies are so thin, and their conical lug seats are correspondingly thin/narrow. The SVX lug nuts have a tiny conical seat angled surface, at the very end, for use with the steelie donut spare, which is similarly pressed to a standard steelie wheel, just narrower, to fit under the trunk floor.

But I doubt the large diameter SVX stock lugs would fit into the lug wells of other aluminum wheels, and even if they did, I would not trust the tiny conical seats to hold the thinnest point of the conical seats in the wheel. The aluminum of the lug seat area could fail under the pressure being concentrated on a small, thin area.

A much wider cone seat, (on a narrower overall diameter lug nut, without the SVX's captive washer), standard conical seat lug nut spreads the clamping pressure to a larger area of the wheel's lug seat than just the small conical end of the SVX lug nuts, as the conical lug nuts contact more of the seat surface, including the outer part, which is a thicker part of the wheel hub pad, and stronger.

The SVX's lug nuts have a very long engagement length inside, due to the sleeve design and the lug nut acting as a sleeve holds the wheels in terms of rotational force, and add strength against shearing the wheel studs, but the wide washers are where the clamping forces are applied to the OE aluminum wheel, to hold it against the hub face. Two different forces on two different surfaces. Not many wheels and lug systems share that design, and it makes SVX lug nuts hard to find.

(BTW, I still have yet to receive a set that were supposed to be with my second set of wheels... reminds me to contact that person again, but thanks to Ray in SLC, I have 22 of them for my car. A spare is a good thing, since they aren't in stock at the local auto-parts store.)

A conical seat lug arrangement is an angle that splits both rotational stability and wheel centering, as well as wheel clamping forces laterally onto the hub face, on the same surface of contact between the lug nut and wheel.

Most wheels use the conical seat, and most auto parts stores stock conical seat lug nuts that will fit. It is much more standard than SVX's almost-over-engineered system. If it were truly over-engineered, there would be six lugs per wheel, or something... and then this would be a moot thread, as very few other wheels would fit.

But thankfully that is not the case, and luckily 5x114 pattern wheels are easier to find than other Subies, with 5x100, and more offset required than most Audi/VW 5x100 wheels allow.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 12-08-2009 at 03:09 PM.