View Single Post
Old 11-18-2009, 03:48 AM

Re: WTB: High output alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Keith,

A fuse is a means of protection against high current, rather than high voltage. What is more the fuse in question here, is fitted as a means of protecting the alternator and the external connecting circuit, (i.e. associated wiring ) against battery current, rather than supplied items against the alternator. You will find this mentioned within the tread covering revised alternator wiring.
Actually, Trevor, there isn't any battery current except the current used to start the engine when the car isn't running. If the alternator is working correctly, the output from the alternator is greater than the battery voltage so instead of the "external connecting circuit, (i.e. associated wiring" having the voltage supplied by the battery, the battery is actually being charged while the alternator provides all the current that flows through the "external connecting circuit, (i.e. associated wiring" at the same time.

Please forgive me, Trevor, but there isn't a chance on earth that you don't already know this.

Keith