View Single Post
Old 10-31-2009, 06:37 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

Re: SVX Engine cooling "Again & Again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
I think the top of block outletis a problem. The image doesn't show it well but there is very little clearance to let the coolent out inspite of the port diamenter. I think I will put a pressure guage into the back of the head and see what number comes up. DOn't have a fifth so it will have to be one of the existing ones.
Tony

I would bet money that an EJ257 crossover tube bolts to the EG33 block. The outlet neck would fall short of the front of the manifold due to the EG's extended length, but I'd say it would physically bolt up to the case. Neck might actually hit the lower runners, but nothing a bandsaw and tig welder cannot correct There is a difference between the junction of the left/right banks on an EJ and the EG crossover tubes. I'll dig through the scrap pile of blow subaru blocks here at the shop tomorrow and see if I have an x-over tube kicking around to show you.

Have you tested pressure post port yet? Meaning, have you tapped the crossover tube just outside the ports both left and right bank to test your pressure at that point.

I know I'm not a "pump" guru but I do have some experience with CFD and loss coefficients with my company building prototype engine induction and exhaust systems. Thermal dynamics are a bit new/rusty to me though. Definitely keep plugging away at the tests that you are doing. I'd be looking at the differences between this system and the EJ system as if there are any that's where you'll likely find an issue, factory corrective manner, or at least a good lead towards the problem if nothing else.

Last edited by Boxersix; 10-31-2009 at 06:39 PM.