View Single Post
Old 09-30-2009, 11:11 AM

Re: Tokyo Auto Show: Subaru Hybrid Tourer Concept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
it looks 1000x better than the current Legacy. i'd like to see a coupe or sedan version of this.
As I posted on Autoblog, and discussed on LegacyGT.com... I would wish for a second bodystyle, a bit different.

-Slice some volume out of the roof, for a raked fastback coupe profile, with a lift-back hatch.
-Shorten the doors to a 2-door coupe length, and move the hinges to the base and the top of the a-pillars, turning them from gull wing, to butterfly doors (think McLaren F1)
-add window-in-a-window, with the fixed upper window extending into the roof segments of the doors.
-Black out the rest of the roof structure above the window sill line.
-keep a traditional mechanical Subaru driveline, and ditch the over-complicated, heavy hybrid stuff.

Update the H4, H4T and H6 engines with direct injection, and valvematic variable event and lift system (a toyota technology... already in the family, so to speak...),

back those engines with the WRX STI's DCCD 6-speed, or a dual-clutch automated gearbox. No CVTs. No hydro-automatics. DCTs have better performance and don't sap power from the drivetrain as much as those two.

Use second-generation SI-Drive to manage engine maps, gearbox maps, suspension calibration, stability control programming, and other on-board control systems, to switch between efficiency, high-traction (slick road conditions), and high performance settings.

With it being a 2+2 coupe at that point... with W-I-W, and a blacked out roof... it would make a perfectly natural 2012 Subaru SVX 20th Anniversary re-introduction.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.