View Single Post
Old 09-25-2009, 02:41 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Cash For Clunkers.....Figured Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandar View Post
Care to take that first step yourself, or do you think that your own pollution is trivial? If I thought I was destroying the planet, raping other countries' resources, and dooming the children of tomorrow to massive floods and rabid monkey-robots (or whatever), I would put my money where my mouth is.

Well, I guess you can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs.

Aside: I know I have a bit of tongue-in-cheek, and I hope you don't construe that as hostility. I respect your opinion; I just think you're wrong.

No, I'm enjoying our repartee. There's enough hostility to go round without bringing it on here. Plus I also have respect for those with deeply held opinions. Right or wrong I respect their right to hold them and to defend them if challenged.

Also, your first point is a good one. As oil users we are all consuming a finite resource that will not be available to later generations when it is all gone. All that's at stake is how profligate we are in its use. We could all do better.

I'm no tree hugger, but here at home we have high insulation, use low energy lights everywhere, anything we can do to cut down on energy use. Unnecessary energy use I should say. I work in an industry that can and does cut heating bills for buildings in half. That's a lot more energy saving than running a diesel or a hybrid car.

Also I do share your frustration with politicians and taxes. Here in Ireland we are being royally screwed with new taxes. Nobody minds paying a fair share but it's galling when they dress up the taxation as part of a "green" agenda to sugar the pill, when you know they just want the money and there are hundreds of "greener" things to do if they were really serious about it.

Let's agree to disagree on this one before we use up all the cliches.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl