Thread: World Crissis??
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2009, 02:18 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
There is supposed to be a couple revolutionary breakthroughs in fusion power coming soon, along with the advance of "free" energy which can run desalinization plants. Inner-city vertical skyscraper farms, awesome energy-efficient architectures and vehicles are just coming into the world... unless all of this fails I just don't see any crisis coming about that does not already exist. What all this really rests on is whoever is willing to spend (or not spend) the money required to make it happen.

Concerning world-wide change and potential catastrophe, the only thing that really makes me worry is rising sea level, and from what I can see the experts are not fully agreeing on whether we can expect a 20 foot rise, or a 20 inch rise. I've seen some prototypes for floating neighborhoods but actually being able to live like that seems far-fetched to me. Hundreds of millions if not billions of people would be displaced in an event like this, with less land to go around. That to me seems worse than a country exploding (whether by weapons or geologic or extra-terrestrial (not aliens, asteroids) activity) or going hungry.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.