View Single Post
Old 09-07-2009, 09:54 PM

Registered SVX
Re: jdm svx trans, will it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiftySVX View Post
Guys, I want to jump back in here and state again, I do not believe that it is a good idea to operate either a a VTD clutch with a control unit for an ACT-4 clutch, or the other way around. Solenoid aside, the best you can hope for is to possibly alleviate the binding, but it will come with a side effect of improper operation of the ACT-4 clutch which will result in damage to the hard transmission components in the long term.

The only proper way to correct this situation is to match the transmission type with the control unit type.
Special thanks. At long last, the application of a good brain and some common sense.

It should also be understood that under most normal conditions, a standard VTD SVX will not have the clutch overriding the differential. Instruction from the VTD TCU would constitute a low current signal, directed to a N/O “C” solenoid, which would remain open. The final result, low pressure and the clutch not engaged.

In respect of Alex transmission, this criteria also applies, and the normally closed “C“ solenoid now installed, remains closed. As has been reported, this has resulted in near full pressure and lock up.

Under most normal conditions, the proposed change of the C solenoid from N/C to N/O in Alex SVX, will result in a low current signal leaving the solenoid open. Low pressure, will then leave the clutch open. Therefore for most of the time, there will be only front wheel drive.

At all times instructions from the TCU will be reversed in respect of front/rear, rear /front, due to changing the solenoid. However this effect may be partly negated, because either way, the instructions involve a simple coupling of the drive to the rear.

N.B. On two counts, it is important that Alex is made aware of the danger of damage, due to the proposed solenoid change.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!