View Single Post
Old 09-05-2009, 11:58 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Rebuilt PS pump, now can't get the air out!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alia176 View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to take the pump apart just to make sure that all the vanes are facing the right way, per FSM. Something about it is niggling me so I won't rest until that's settled.

It's interesting that the FSM says to wait half hour after every attempt at eliminating bubbles in the fluid. As stated above, just wait and see what happens. I just started up the car and the problem is solved, no more PS shrieking!

Thanks again.
When I was managing an auto shop in N. Tahoe.... one of our less brilliant techs would routinely shake up bottles of power steering fluid when refilling during flushes. When I asked him why he did this, he tells me the bubbles help scour the system of gunk . I asked him if he knew what bubbles did in a pressurized hydraulic system, he shrugs. Needless to say, numbnuts was let go a few weeks later for blowing the rear diff on a newer ford f-series (forgot to refill after draining, guy was towing at the time).

Lesson: theres some really dim ASE certified techs out there, and the person that will best take care of your car is you.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.