Old 08-13-2009, 11:56 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: new SVX owner has questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by radad View Post

I got home and read a bunch here and other internet resources. I found out about the FWD fuse and popped one in a bada bing bada bang no more weird noise's. Does this mean the problems in in the rear drive? I been driving it in FWD for two weeks now any long term damage from doing this? Also I would like to know if replacing the oil/trans/diff with mobil syn. would be a good idea?
Hi there Radad, and you are very welcome to the Network.

Nobody mentioned one issue, so I'm going to because it is important. The transmissions tend to fail because of heat spike issues. With that in mind we always recommend to new owners to ensure their transmission gets an external transmission fluid cooler. You should do this, it is a cheap insurance policy against future melt-down. Do a search on 'transmission cooler' and you will pull up loads of info and advice. The B&M Supercooler
19000 lbs GVW slots right in between the two rads and will cool your oil in the hottest summer conditions, plus allow rapid heat up in winter. Pick of the bunch.

Regards the FWD fuse one of our founders Randy ran his car way back in FWD for I think 18 months, and it could have been longer, no ill effects. Provided you are driving your car normally, and not like you stole it, it can't do much harm.

You ask about Mobil synthetic transmission oil. It has a higher spec than the manufacturer asks for. I've been leery of fully synthetic in the past because it can be 'thinner' in action than OEM, tends to clean gunge from inner seals and so possibly create new leaks. Plus it's expensive, and you probably won't need it if you have installed an external cooler. In its favour it will be much slower to break down under excess heat than the regular oil, and that alone might make your transmission last longer in action.

To sum up, if you drive your car in a really hot, hostile environment, such as lots of traffic work in a very hot city, or pulling up hills in a hot desert climate, belt and braces, use the synthetic.

If the above does not apply fit the cooler and use manufacturer's recommended.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl