View Single Post
Old 07-24-2009, 12:43 AM

Registered SVX
Re: jdm svx trans, will it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha View Post
I just posted this in the gearshift maps thread. It is relevant to some of the discussions above.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...&postcount=182
Thank you Phil, we are lucky to have your expertise.

Statements which make sense and are correct, are being added to the thread.

First let us again point out, that this particularly relates to the USDM SVX. In this regard you have correctly concluded that ---

“I think the TCU is looking at how fast the input shaft is turning compared to the amount of throttle applied. The sweet spot of the map is in the middle, when you are travelling at a steady speed, high duty cycle = power up front.”

This explains why those not applying some power through a corner, i.e. using poor technique, experience excessive understeer. More so with large cross section tyres, not inflated to a maximum level.

“Based on what I've found, I think that the theory about torque split being based on a percentage difference in speed between front and rear wheels, is wrong.”

I totally agree and have never suggested that this is the case. Again we have had incorrect theory broadcast by persons claiming authority.

“Alternatively, when you are accelerating against the car's inertia, the input shaft will spin slower relative to the amount of throttle applied. Again, the map lookup gives a lower duty cycle and power shifts to the back.”

Every reason to corner properly and under power.

“There is a bit more to it that I don't yet understand, but I think I've got the basics right. Any mechanical gurus want to offer an opinion?”

Everything you have advised makes sense and adds up exactly, both on the basis of mechanical, as well as handling dynamics.

Thanks again, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!