View Single Post
Old 07-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX
Re: Gov't program to threaten SVX's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerFanatic View Post
Anyone who takes TAX money from the government, and thus from OTHER PEOPLE, to send a rare car, like SVX to the crusher, gains my ire and derision.

Honestly, sell the SVX to someone, and buy a recent-used car, and save more than the government would otherwise pay you. two or three years of depreciation on a new car is more than the government will pay you.

And for the government to pay you, they have to seize it from someone else first. They are so far beyond a balanced budget that the people they are seizing from are our grandchildren.

This whole program is irresponsible from pretty much every angle. Used car dealers, and automotive wrecking/salvage are the mechanisms that have been in place for quite some time to cover resale value, and automotive disposal.

This is just government subsidy of your trash, and they are incentivizing people to trash things that AREN'T JUNK.

I paid $1000 for an SVX to KEEP IT FROM BEING CRUSHED. I drove it to work this morning, and it is a perfectly viable car, with another 100K miles of life left in it, at least, barring the unforseen to cut that short. But I am not going to throw it away like it is trash.

The drivetrain, interior, glass, spare body and chassis parts, and such are worth more than what I paid for the car, even as salvage.

I have no idea why even Junk yards are crushing these cars. They are RARE. They may not be fast, consistent demand for parts, but they are captive demand for those of us keeping these cars on the road. We can't just pull a lot of parts off of other cars. There are a few cross-compatibilities, but there are LOTS of parts that are unique to this car.

Would you take a Porsche 944 Turbo to the shredder? A VW Bus? An 80s or 90's BMW M3 or M5? A 635CSi? A 300ZX?

Why on earth would people consider scrapping such relatively rare iron for the sake of the government?

Do you honestly think that the energy to build another new car is "saved" energy, compared to the energy long since expended to build the car you already have? Even on it's FAKE, Politically correct face, it is a boon-doggle and a farce.

Please. If you hate your car that much, sell it to another enthusiast who wants it. I would say give it to charity, but they probably just turn it in for government cash, and crushing also. Sell it, and use the money to get the car that you can afford.

Unless you are wealthy, let someone else take the depreciation hit on a new vehicle. Even with rebates, a new vehicle will depreciate, as the used market crashes underneath all the fake, trumped-up new-car demand.

If you ARE wealthy, you know what taxes mean, so you should forego the government subsidy purely on principle. (although I am not rich, and I abhor it on principle, as well.)

There is no excuse for leveraging yourself heavily for a new car, just to get a bit of 'gub'ment cheese.'

Buy what you can afford. A good, properly chosen used car is a better value, pretty much every time, unless you can afford to take a brand new car and use it for most of it's useful life, and completely disregard depreciation.
I hear ya but lets be honest here that $4500 is more then most of them are worth. The market is soft and I believe that sometimes you got to do what you got to do.

I highly doubt that there is anyone on here that would give $4500 for a car that is worth less then that (per KBB).

Tell ya what: the first person that shows up with a wad of $4500 in their hands can have mine. I'm not really into selling but I really don't think these people exist anymore with the economy the way it is.

Prove me wrong.