View Single Post
Old 06-28-2009, 10:16 PM

Re: Wheel experts have a look!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Again, posting pictures of wheels that don't fit isn't really any help. Remember it is a 112x5 with a 23 offset 14x6 wheel. Nothing else is even close. They were made specifically for the car. Oh and spacers won't work beyond a 3mm spacer as the lugs aren't available longer.

Out of round is about $100 a wheel, cracked rims like I have are just going to crack again. Refinishing add $150 or so a wheel.
I would seriously consider some wheel spacers that change the bolt pattern. Those do not require longer studs, as the spacers use redundant studs, spaced on a different bolt circle. they basically bolt to the existing studs with short, open lug nuts, and then between the original studs, they have 5 more studs, either closer to, or further from the hub center, essentially adding offset requirement to the wheel, and changing the bolt pattern to something more common. Easier than changing the hubs and brakes...

At this link, it lists the H&R brand PCD adaptor options...http://www.performancealloys.com/all...s_adaptors.asp
In the audi section, it shows a 5x112 -> 5x100 adaptor that keeps the center bore lip at 57.1mm for hub-centric. If that is what your dimensions are, you could change over to 5x100 wheels, such as the Rota RB, or other Audi, VW fitment wheels.

With a 20mm spacer added to the hub, and a wheel with more positive offset, the RBs have +35mm offset, you end up with about 8 millimeters more net offset change... and add a quarter inch (6.35mm) for both inboard and outboard for the 7 inch wheel width, over the 6.5 inch wheel width you had before... and you roughly have 14.3mm, or a hair more than half an inch outward change in the outboard rim edge, compared to the 14x6.5, 23mm offset wheels.

I would go for 5x100, and put those Rota replicas of Panasport wheels on the car. I would also perhaps see if they come in a nice muted gold color on the spokes, with a machine polished rim edge... that would look nice with the tan interior of the car. I say that as a person who is NOT a fan of gold wheels on most other cars.

5x112 bolt pattern, pretty much anything you are going to find are going to be mercedes wheels, or as someone mentioned, very rare audi wheels. most current Audis have switched to VW's 5x100 et35 specification. Hardly anyone else uses that bolt pattern.

The ESM BBS-knockoff wheels you linked to don't look too bad... and from your pictures, look somewhat similar to what was on there before, with red painted cast mesh. I would go with silver or gold wheel centers, though.

the third option thick 5 spoke is too modern, and the thin tapered 5 spoke is FAR too modern.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 06-28-2009 at 10:50 PM.