Thread: The SVX and you
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009, 12:55 AM

Re: The SVX and you

I have been a member of this forum for about a year, always reading the posts, but too bashful to reply. This I have to reply to. My first SVX was a salvage car from Copart, a company which sells repairable vehicles. This car, an ebony pearl LSL, had been smashed on the passenger's front, the headlight, bumper, hood, frame rail, fender all pushed in. I feel fortunate that my uncle has a body shop, where I put the car on his frame rack and did all the straightening on my own, learning as I go. I had a parts car, bought some new parts, doing all the body work in my spare time. This was the car I learned how to paint base coat and clear coat with, covering it with a Prizmatique red over pearl black. This was after two previous attempts with the paint gun. I bought two wrecked 98 Outbacks for the 5-speed, because I knew of the potential transmission troubles---I prefer three pedals, too. I love the car. I was raised in a family that owned nothing but Subaru, except for my dad's 64 Corvair van, and I have owned nothing else.
I grow bored with the tuner 'bolt-on' crowd, their overall lack of effort, imagination, devoid of the out-of-the-box thinking you see in old school
hot-rods. I love this car, its shape, the logic and symmetry of the engine, the engineering simplicity of everything in the car, from all the work put into it. The cost is irrelevant, in balance with the esteem I feel for this car. I know it should be a concern; you get what you pay for.