View Single Post
Old 04-12-2009, 07:35 AM

Registered SVX
Re: low beams not wrkin!!! AGHHHH!! HELP PLZ!!

1. -- all is normal till the battery light, tail light out , and brake light on the dash stayed on

2. -- after driving a little way and came to a stop, the lights faded away...then i stepped on the gas and they came back! not only does steppin on the gas
make those 3 lights go on, all the interior lights get brighter as well.

3. --the hi-beams work and so does the dimmer but the low beams don't. is it the switch and short?

2. You report three trouble lights as coming on. I would have expected the steering warning lamp to be involved, rather than the tail light out lamp. Please confirm the exact configuration, as this is of special interest.

There is every chance that you have a rectifier or regulator fault within your alternator, but first check all the alternator connections and wiring.

3. If the alternator sensing circuit or voltage regulator is faulty, a high voltage may have caused the low beam lamps to fail. Check the bulbs.

The lighting positive circuit for both high and low beams, is split in two as a safety measure, with left and right separately fused and controlled by separate relays. The low beams are permanently grounded, while the high beams are switched in the negative circuit to ground, by a single relay.

As you have both high beams working, this proves that there should be positive voltage to the low beams, however these according to the manual, have a common ground, so that if this is broken the low beams would not come on. Check on the lighting ground connections.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!