View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 11:17 AM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: JDM Power switch pic or explaination plz

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha View Post
The thing I've never understood, is how 5 buttons connect to just 1 wire. I guess one day I'll take it apart and have a look.
Easy: They use a resistor network. Here's how Subaru did it on the 2005 Legacy/Outback:
ADDED: The 2008 has "Mute" instead of "Power," and added a resistor in series between the two nodes (dots) to the right of the top button in the above diagram.

Here are the resistance values in a 2008 Impreza:
Code:
  22 Ω  - Mute
  90 Ω  - Volume up
 200 Ω  - Volume down
 360 Ω  - Mode
 690 Ω  - Seek up
1.15k Ω - Seek down

4.7k Ω  - Nothing pressed
(from Added Steering Wheel Controls & Tweeters to base model 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX on mp3car.com)

On the SVX, one side is probably tied to ground at the steering wheel.

I'd really like to find out what the values are for the JDM SVX wheel. Anyone out there with one who can measure them? (you can do it at the radio harness rather than having to remove the wheel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
I don't know if Phil uses his steering wheel buttons, but when I had them on Plum I found them to be more decorative than functional.
On newer Subarus (and other cars) the buttons are now where your thumbs can hit them, even when you're in a slight turn.

On the JDM SVX, do the Seek and AM/FM buttons do anything while you're listening to a tape or CD?

It just occurred to me — does that mean the JDM radio has up/down buttons for volume (instead of a rheostat knob like on the radios in SVXs without that steering wheel)?

Last edited by SVXdc; 04-03-2009 at 09:35 AM.