View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 10:52 AM
Still rebuilding my block...
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to cozykat Send a message via MSN to cozykat Send a message via Yahoo to cozykat
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Twin Turbo EG33 Build - cozykat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
Why not go to something a little more boost friendly like an 8 or 8.5 tops?
As I understand, 8/8.5:1 compression may be boost friendlier but it will effect my low-end torque more. I think our more technical members could better explain why than myself. I want more power and higher-end torque without sacrificing a lot of my low-end torque. OT, Shaun, and a couple of STI (one EVO) guys seem to agree that dropping to 9:1 is a good medium for our engines. It will only decrease the stock 230bhp by ~4% (or ~9bhp) and I probably will not notice since the block will be bored, have head work, etc to improve flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname View Post
All sounds very good to me, right down to your turbo choice. You're going a similar route to me. I'm doing the same thing except with m24 garrett turbos and my own engine management with an svx maf stuck on the inlet of each turbo and an hks or hks knock off foam filter on each maf. Water injection, no intercooler.
Thanks, I have been trying to plan this out carefully so I don't get slapped with too many surprises. The most difficult was deciding what I wanted to ultimately accomplish and then look at how I should go about it. Watching cost has also been important as it sure builds up and it's easy to get carried away - I try to reality-check myself periodically. I will post my costs as they arise to better help others plan their own build. I think what eats my budget the most is the hydra. While conveniently awesome, its a good portion of my projected $6k cost (not including another $2k+ for the turbo setup). I wanted to try and setup my own engine management system but with projects/work, finishing my masters, etc it's like: "what free time? oh you mean sleep!"

I am considering meth injection but am holding off that decision until I am actually in the process of the turbo. Will you also be installing a tank that includes a level sensor, or installing a water pressure gauge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
With compression numbers and turbo sizes like that, I'm guessing you're aiming more at a nice driveable torque curve than crazy peak power numbers?
Yup, I don't plan on ever making this a track/race car just use as daily driver. My goal is to hit maybe 300whp if I make a little +/-, I don't mind.

'93 LSL Anniversary Edition - 02/93 - 150,998 Daily Driver - Forged EG33 (long block), 6MT swap, and re-upholstered interior
'92 Pearl - 100k Side restoration project
Locker | Old Locker | Shutterfly | ReadingIX | Facebook | Instagram

Last edited by cozykat; 03-18-2009 at 10:55 AM.