View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009, 11:56 AM
Still rebuilding my block...
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to cozykat Send a message via MSN to cozykat Send a message via Yahoo to cozykat
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Twin Turbo EG33 Build - cozykat

This a thread where I can try to document my build with information, images (stored on photobucket), and cost.

The plan: rebuild eg33 - lowering compression to 9:1 and going with forged internals, run standalone ecu (hydra), add twin turbos (something like two T2560), and update exhaust.

-----------------------------------------------------
Initially, I was rebuilding my engine because I thought the engine was experiencing rod bearing failure. Once we started taking my engine apart, Shaun noticed that my flex plate had a thin V-shaped crack in the center (noticeable when directly pushing on it). So we think this is most likely the reason for the horrible noise @ 4000rpm instead of bearing failure.

4 reasons I decided to continue with the rebuild:
1. my engine was already out on a stand
2. we weren't 100% sure that the flex plate was problem or just a coincidence and I didn't want to swap engines again only to immediately need to swap for a 3rd time.
3. Shaun's '92, 90k engine runs significantly better than my '93 150k engine in my car which told me my car could run better even with a simple rebuild.
4. the excitement of the rebuild had already got a hold of me.

Engine Rebuild Projected Costs (your prices may vary):
Swapping engines (~$230 - Fluids, Gaskets, hoses, clamps)
Subaru Gasket Kit ($250.00)
Eagle-H Rods ($465.00)
Crankshaft ACL Bearings ($200.00)
CP 9:1 Forged Pistons w/ pins and rings ($948.00 / $1896 for Shaun and I together)
ARP Studs (long/short) ($320.00)
Outlaw Phenolic Spacers ($115.00)
GrimSpeed Ported Exhaust ($280.00)
Cometic Head Gasket Set ($190.00)
Hydra + wideband (optional) (~$TBA)
STI injector set (550cc) ($360)
Cams (~$600) - still to do
Walbro Fuel Pump 255lph ($84)
Custom Exhaust (~$TBA)
Machine work: Total w/ misc parts ($870)
Stock Crank - Polish/Balance (~$70.00)
Stock EG33 Block - Bore to 98mm ($140.00)
Heads - Resurfaced/Check Align Bore ($170.00)
Intake/Exhaust Valve Seals (~$105.60)
Valve Job($150)/Replace Valve Guides($50)
Balance Engine (with pistons, rods, crank) ($150.00)

Current Status:
2009.01.17.SA/SU: So far, Shaun (YourConfused), Matt and I have removed my engine and swapped in Shaun's spare from his 92 (so I can still drive my SVX while her heart is being worked on).
Swap cost: ~$230 to replace fluids, hoses that broke due to age, etc.

2009.03.14.SA: We've have torn the engine down and are waiting for a slot to open up at the machine shop (3 week waiting period).
Cost: blood, sweat, and cursing

2009.10.09: Got my block back from Duffin Engine Service machine shop. yay! Looks great, except the block isn't as clean as I wanted it so I'm taking it to get soda blasted when I get some free time and $.

lots of time passed...

2014.2.18.TU: I'm back at it.. Picked up STeeL25T's Hydra, cleaned up long block, hard lines, and coated with motor paint (fuel resistant,etc)
Cleaned and assembly restarted

long block assembly complete

more to follow...

'93 LSL Anniversary Edition - 02/93 - 150,998 Daily Driver - Forged EG33 (long block), 6MT swap, and re-upholstered interior
'92 Pearl - 100k Side restoration project
Locker | Old Locker | Shutterfly | ReadingIX | Facebook | Instagram

Last edited by cozykat; 08-15-2018 at 05:22 PM.