View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 09:49 AM
f'n a cotton, f'n a...

Re: Every member please check in here!

Hey everyone! I've always loved these cars but didn't really have enough money to get one, but luck came my way. I bought my friends 92 legacy wagon for next to nothing, fixed that, and then had enough to get my ebony 92 LS-L last April. I tested it out and the transmission seemed strong and nothing else seemed too horrible so I bought it. It had a few issues though: valve cover gaskets needed to be replaced; the exhaust has a leak; on the way up from Denver when i depressed the gas pedal there was a rubbing belt noise??; and it would idle pretty rough. I wanted a project so instead of just replacing the valve cover gaskets, I decided to do the entire reseal. I started this because I wanted to learn about the car and have a full understanding the motor, and also to have the security of knowing that I have a sound engine under my hood. Anyway I got the reseal kit and some new motor mounts from allwe'lldrive. I finally got all the gaskets and o-rings labeled and figured out where they should all go (i'm going to do a full write-up when i'm done with pictures). Next I pulled the engine and started to take things apart. Now here is where my current predicament begins... One night I got a little too excited about the project, and didn't read the manual before removing the camshafts (very bad move), so i ended up cracking both camshafts. A couple days ago I was going over everything, cleaning, installing seals in the different sub-assemblies and noticed that I cracked the journal bearings on both heads too! So now i'm stuck until i get some more money for either some new heads or maybe a new motor. I know that the motor would probably be cheaper, but i think i like knowing that everything is sealed properly and in good condition so i think i'm going to just get the heads. I'm not too discouraged though, i'm just learning (which can cost a lot of money sometimes). Sooo anyway, that's my story so far...

Here it is when i first got it home
http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/u...7/100_1932.jpg