View Single Post
Old 03-07-2009, 02:04 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: ? For those with aftermarket soundsystems

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyeJaye View Post
I just installed a new head unit and wired my car for a sub and amp. However, I'm not gettibg any power to my amp. All of my connections are solid and the fuses are all good, so the only thing I can think of is that my ground isn't good. Where is the best place to connect a ground wire?
A lot of work but I always ground back to the battery. A lot of car audio people say it is bad for different reasons but In every car I've had, it has eliminated dimming headlights even in an 81 olds with only a 65amp alternator(1000+watt system) and have never had problems with voltage noise caused by a supposed ground loop that they claim is what happens if you ground an amp back to the stereo.
Other wise, find a factory grounding spot or sand off all paint on a spot in the trunk and tap into the trunk-BE SURE TO BE AWARE OF ANY POSSIBLE WIRES AND USE A SHORT SCREW!!!

Edit: And just to note, I've grounded back to the battery in 5 separate cars and have a friend that competes in comps who also always grounds back to the battery. Capacitors and extra batteries are actually not a good idea as they put extra load on the alternator. Extra batteries only help when listening to stereo with the motor off when its parked. I have never seen capacitors help a stereo sytem in my life.

Last edited by 1986nate; 03-07-2009 at 02:08 AM.