View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 08:11 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Cover between engine and transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughSilver92 View Post
My 5 speed is now bolted to the engine, and I have no cover plate to cover that gaping hole at the bottom. I could not find any pictures showing a cover on the svx at subaruparts.com, and I don't know if the one that fits the car my transmission is out of (2006 impreza 2.5i) will fit if I order it. Does the svx even have such a plate? I see holes so I assume there was one at some time. What is everybody else using on their 5mt swaps?

On a related issue, there were also no dowels in the block on the transmission mounting surface. If there are supposed to be alignment dowels am I at risk shearing the 4 transmission bolts without them?
Without the bolts in the autos, it will cause the flexplate to crack. Not sure about the effects it might have on the flywheel of a manual, Shouldn't shear the regular transmission bolts off though.
There is a plastic cover that goes on the bottom between the the engine and trans but not sure if the same one will bolt to the manual. Only thing it prevents is water getting into the flywheel which would eventually cause it to surface rust but not affect the structural integrity of the flywheel.