View Single Post
Old 01-25-2009, 08:09 PM
Finally HAS a 3rd pedal!!

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777
Re: I hate unknown noises...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
Ahem..... would I be a total jerk in asking if the OP had checked for a rock in his tire treads ?? This ticking business has happened to me plenty of times after driving on rough roads.... depending on thickness of treads. Hey its easier than ripping out the front diff right

I feel like an idiot, but no I didn't even think to check it. I will though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by log1call View Post
Ha yes... always check the simple things first!

The bearing would take a heck of a knock to put a dent in it, but it is something that can make a clicking noise sometimes... normally when they are old and they are beguining to shed bits of metal off the race... if it is just in one place they can make a click as the bearing rolls over it.

The clicking from a bearing would be a bit more solid sounding that the poster is describing though... I think.

A wheel bearing should be fairly easy to find. jack the car up and check the wheels for play. Then spin them. If there is no noise or if you want to make a noise louder try and pull the wheel up at the bottom as you spin it, it might put a load on the dent. If you think you can hear a noise but can't tell where it is coming from then put your finger tips on the wheel hub, inside where the bearings are as near as possible, and see if you can feel a clicking.
Ok I'll try and check that too. But you are correct, I do feel a bearing would be a little more solid sounding, or more of a metal on metal clank than what I have.

94 LSi 5spd Barcelona Red, 14Xk miles.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

(up next) Full cage, fuel cell, 327 swap