View Single Post
Old 01-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Re: Alternator question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
If you are referring to the Car Subaru, obviously you haven't preformed the test to really be able to know what you are talking about... the test that I so kindly laid out for you.

If you are referring to some Subaru mechanic that probably doesn't know which end is up, simply test yourself on your SVX. By their own admission most will tell you that electrical is not their expertise.

I naturally belong to AAA, the 150 mile one, as do all SVX owners. I always make a point to take my cell with me, even if it is just to go out the door to feed my dogs. So I am in pretty good shape cell wise.

Again, simply perform the test on your own SVX. This is a no-brainer.

Take care,
Keith
I don't need to do it again as I already did it when I was trying to figure out why our racer SVX was killing its battery. Besides, I'd have to pull it out of hibernation. My SVX runs at 13.2 volts regardless of any of the factory accessories I had on at idle (which is what the FSM said was spec.). Our racer which doesn't have nearly the load as there aren't any lights aside from the idiot lights working, no ps to run, no abs and no auto tranny still puts out 12.75 at an idle (which as I said isn't enough to keep it running or starting after a couple days of racing). That 12.75 is coming off of a smaller pulley.

I don't and never have had AAA on my SVX. I guess I just take better care of my SVX then "all SVX owners".

The only time that it broke down BTW was when my alternator failed. It was still charging over 12 volts at idle but didn't make it more than 15 miles in stop and go traffic.