View Single Post
Old 01-01-2009, 08:07 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Re: Alternator question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
That is with a new properly functioning alternator at proper idle speed. (actually if the system is functioning properly, the idle speed will increase when you start turning everything on but will let the output decrease enough to begin to sap the juice from the battery).

And no need to be sorry!

Keith

You're right Keith. There isn't an issue when an alternator is at 12.75.. My idle doesn't change a bit even with the ac on full blast and using the lights and wipers on. There is under no circumstance that you should be getting 12.75 volts out of an SVX alternator at a stock idle with a stock pulley with anything the car came with on. The surge you talk about is a temporary thing as the regulator is doing its job. It should and will in a properly functioning system return back to a normal idle once the surge is compensated for via the regulator.

As for my shoulds and woulds that is simply providing what should occur in any charging system as many people who read this have other cars and apply knowledge they learn based on forums.

You're right there is no need to be sorry, I simply don't want to see misinformation provided when possible. So show me where in an SVX charging system you should be getting 12.75 volts. I told you where you can find it in other types of charging systems but not on an SVX system. Happy New Year BTW!