View Single Post
Old 12-31-2008, 07:50 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Re: Alternator question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
One problem we have with our alternators is that they can be spasmodic... when on the way out, sometimes work right and at other times not. The voltage at idle can vary a bit with different components turned on and various "idle speed"... several variables even when no problem exists. Try to test it in a condition that is not normal for it if possible. If you ever catch it in the "act", there is no longer room for doubt.

Keith
Sorry Keith but the voltage should not vary at all provided you are not running more than what the alt. puts out at idle. I would suspect on the SVX that would mean all your accesories running at an idle. The only voltage drop should be when you turn something on (then your regulator should return it back to 13.2. At 12.75 you'll end up walking sooner rather than later. It is a very good time to clean up all your grounds and grease 'em. Also when you take it in for a rebuild ask if they have or can order a new connector for you. The plastic becomes quite nasty with age (not to mention tarnished wires). It is a very good idea to replace the $3 lead and possibly even more wire back beyond where it sits atop the engine.