View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 08:58 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Re: Help diagnosing a noise

I'm pretty sure it is not motor/tranny mounts as those were BOTH fairly bad and I was aware of the noises they were causing. Both were replaced and the associated noises went away.

This continues to annoy and as it seems to keep changing, get more worrisome. Now intermittently there will be a quick metallic buzz thrown in there. Some electronic part of the tranny? ABS system?

Again, the primary noise "seems" to be coming from the driver-rear of the car, but I can only hear it inside the cabin, at very slow speeds, louder when on the gas. Rolling down the window makes it harder to hear (as opposed to something outside the car rattling). Going above 20 mph or so makes it disappear (or it gets drowned out?), opposite of something like a bad wheel bearing which just gets louder the faster you go. I've tried hearing it in the engine bay with no success either (might be getting drowned out by other engine sounds at the front).

Very strange, and I don't think it is loud enough or clear enough to record, at least with any equipment I have.

I'm going to go through some troubleshooting with Tom on my rough idle issue and see if maybe whatever fixes that will solve the noise as well. We can only hope.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...