View Single Post
Old 09-09-2002, 10:40 AM
Ca$h

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248
Now to relate the topic.

Ca$h - you have managed to claim that just about all of the most reputable names in the car rating/testing business are crazy, or stupid, or they messed up, cause they all thought the neon was less than it should be. Perhaps trying to get some real evidence on your side may help you? Just a thought. I have nothing against you (so far), i just don't agree with your opinion of cars.
Eh. Not exactly. Here's my problem with reviews of the neon, like I've already stated. When the neon was initially introduced it had headgasket problems. This problem was CURED by 1998. So why is the neon still listed as unreliable? Why is it, that when talking to literally hundreds of neon enthusiasts for the past 3 years, I do not hear of such things as 'electrical problems' (never) or transmission problems or engine problems? The last neon convention, we had a guy come from WASHINGTON STATE to Rockford IL. He's come for the past 3 years. He hasn't had any problems. Shawn Henry, came up from texas (with a bunch of other texans) with a stage 3 turbo running 12 lbs of boost. Guess what? No problems. Ran a 12.55 when he got to the track too. It was cool. So here's my beef. I am IN the neon community. I know more about neons than most people, I've been into them for over 3 years (and not into them ricer style), and I KNOW the neons shortcomings (interior, ride quality) and its highlights (cost, speed, handling, reliablity).... so when a magazine calls them UNRELIABLE, I ask the same question you ask me: What proof do they have? Neons ONLY real fault was fixed over 5 years ago, and they've been reliable ever since. Another thing I can claim that CR can't is that I've been enveloped in neon performance for 3+years. The 0-60 times stated by most automags are horrible. I dont know what they're doing wrong, but I will bring up CR 'test'. They claimed a neon with the dohc engine and 5 spd did 0-60 in 8.9 seconds. Um. WHAT?! Most 5 spds can do 0-60 in about 7.5. When asked, they responded that they didnt puch the gas pedal down all the way. WTF? Why? Because they hate neons. But yes, since you keep begging for 'facts', I just searched the net and found THIS: Enjoy:

http://neon.atsweb.net/c&dpages.html

0-60 in 7.5 seconds, which is pretty damn quick for a 4 banger FWDriver, from the factory. Another thing I can tell you from EXPERIENCE is about street racing. Neons are sleepers. Why? Like most people here, the general public hates neons for some reason. They think they are all girl cars, they're all slow, and they're all stupid. Well. Wake up. I have a base model SOHC 5 spd, and you'd be surprised at the cars I've destroyed street racing (no speeches please, I did this years ago, I don't really do it anymore.... much. ;P), but EVERY CAVALIER I raced has been beaten, Civics? HA. I laugh in the face of their 9k redlines yet they still have no torque to get their cars moving. What cars were beaten by a hair but still beaten? Well. Integras. Easy. The surprising victory? An integra GSR. I was with a friend, and either the GSR didn't know how to drive, or the GSR is a bit overrated, but I beat him. A Mitsubishi 3000GT. Yep. No problem. Why? It wasnt a VR4. Their heavy curb weight with only 170hp = pretty horrible power/weight ratio. And finally, I'll claim this: You don't see cavaliers winning autocross. You don't see cavaliers going drag racing in the import leagues and being competitive, yet you DO see neons. Mopar has always made pocket rockets (omni glhs, omni charger, shelby daytona, hell, even the demon, dart, etc etc), and they obviously used their experience when making the neon.

Quote:
You have constantly called the Cavalier a "white trash" car. Try driving through a trailer park, keep track of the cars you see. OLDSMOBILE. They're everywhere.
Yeah, those are everywhere too. However, like I said, in MY experience, which specifically deals with Madison, WI, white trash is specifically associated with CHEVY. From driving rusted out bondo'd camaros (with a huge chevy sticker), to blazers (with a huge chevy sticker), to crappy cavaliers (with a huge chevy sticker). One of my favorite stories was pulling up next to a cavalier with a cavalier windshield banner, a huge chevy sticker in the back window, and 'the heartbeat of america' slathered down its sides, then asking the driver what kind of car it was. When she told me it was a cavalier, I asked "Woah, who makes it? Ford?" she replied "Chevy" at which point I yelled "GEE COULDNT FREAKING TELL!!!!!" and sped off. I have more of those type of stories, and oddly enough, they ALL deal with cavaliers. :0

Quote:
(recall 1995 ad campaign).
Also recall that they later changed it to 'bye'. Why? Please test drive a 5 spd neon and find out.

Like I said, I've been into neons for years. I'm used to people's attitude about them, and I've gotten damn good at proving them wrong. Over at MacNN, everyone knows that I drove a neon. And I'd say 90% of them hated neons. I'd like to share one story with you: A couple youngins (17-19) who completely bashed the neon, saying preludes are awesome, bla bla bla. Well....eh... eventually it seems someone gave them a RIDE in a neon. And they started this topic:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=117006

And just in case you missed this link, read this too:

http://neon.atsweb.net/c&dpages.html

- Ca$h