View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 06:06 PM
Headed to Texas...

Re: Improved MPG Checklist Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
Nobody ever mentions alterations to the driver! Hit the treadmill and put down the donut!

Srsly, though... 100 miles at 27mpg vs. 100 miles at 26mpg at $4/gallon (which is becoming history in states I've been in lately) is $0.56.

Consider: What is the priority on fuel economy? Bang-for-the-buck at the pump? Ecology? Distance per full tank?

In my example above, 1mpg = $40ish at 7,000 miles per year. That's not much, and can be considered cheaper than a fuel filter, an oxygen sensor, ...

As for the ecosystem, you're not going to dent it.

1mpg on your fuel tank's range will get you 16 miles if you ride the sediment, but your fuel filter will hate you for it.

All told, I think the best thing you can do for fuel economy is make sure your car isn't running like total and utter crap.

...or buy a different car.
I hear you. I wouldn't argue any of those points. At one point at the time of $4.50/gallon for premium, I considered moving down to lower grades - but when you really look at it, the savings aren't enough to bother.
One thing that did surprise me in a good way was at 65, you find yourself relaxing. The rest of the world is blasting by trying to get to their destinations in as little time as possible, risking life and limb and their cars. I dunno, if I was 25 I'd probably be right with them. Now I'm seeing the rat race for what it is. And...it is kind of fun to see how much I can get out of a gallon. Not only that, but I figure the lower speeds put less stress on the car too.

jnj7707@yahoo.com