Thread: Stealth SVX?
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2002, 12:47 PM

I think the SVX would be easy to see by police radar. Some of the automated "warning the speed limit is XX and you're going YY" machines have the power turned down so the driver is close when it flashes you. That's done so that a big truck a half-mile behind you doesn't overide the signal - happens in the real world - I think Car & Driver did a thing on large truck cross-sections falsely setting off radars about 10-15 years ago - back in their bad boys stage.

Anyway, if you want stealth, two choices, coatings (really expensive or really impractical), or minimize cross-section - primarily reducing metal pointing directly back in the direction of travel (steath fighter).

Two go-fast cars pretty good at this are Corvettes and MR2 turbos. The MR2 has a plastic front with radiator tilted forward, plastic fans, metal bulkhead behind isn't flat to the direction of travel. I used to drive an MR2 and go past these automated systems about every other day (popular around here). In an unscientific estimate, and considering days with no other cars around, I would guess the MR2 got about 2 or 3 times closer than the SVX before the sign lit up. I even experimented with speeding up as I approached the sign with something like an SUV behind me - the MR2 would become invisible based on the SUV cross-sectional return.