Old 09-29-2008, 06:43 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: What is worse? Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iizbeastie View Post
What is so horrible about an 18 year old having a child?
Nothing.

Childbirth is natural and very necessary for the survival of the human race. 18-21 is the age around which we are biologically best suited for having healthy babies.

Quote:
I'm sure this will get me all kinds of people talking about financial stability and maturity, but think on it for a second.
Most of the replies so far including Nick's and Dustin's, some from people who have been there, done that, point out that the financial stability required for raising a child well is difficult to provide if the young parent is unable to set up a stable and well financed family unit. You consistently ignore or counter these life experiences as if you know different or you know better. Explain why you swim against the tide of general opinion and common sense here?

Quote:
I decided I never wanted anyone to look at me and wonder if I was 'daddy' or 'poppa'. So, after concluding that I wanted at least 2-3 children, I knew I wanted to have my first by the time I was 22, and guess what, success.
You are displaying an ageist attitude here. There are various legislations in place now to ensure such ageism attitudes are not allowable in job interviews and so on. You might need to re-assess your attitudes to such things in case they colour your thinking in a negative way.

Quote:
In my opinion, there are just as many teens that are capable of having a child as there are people that should NEVER have children. There are people who make it far past teens and twenties and have a maturity level or motivational level that would never allow them to be a proper parent. I also honestly believe that if you are 40, and have not had a child, you shouldn't. Seriously, by the time they move out you would be 58+. If you have more than one you will be supporting them from retirement funds. Most importantly, by then you have lost your understanding of what young people are like, and your ability to keep up with them. 'Been there done that' is always valuable experience, but people are best at what they are doing, and if you haven't been a 'kid' for a couple of decades or longer, then it will more than jog your memory.
I find this remark ageist, distasteful and downright offensive. It marks you out as someone who is all opinion and no experience.

When I got married the second time {for reasons I won't go into here} my wife and I were nearly 40 and we wanted children. My children are now all well on the way to healthy and happy and financially secure adult lives. No drugs, no problems, no police, just happy young adults who shoulder responsibility for themselves and are good achievers.

But that's just me and my family. I'm sure you have just insulted hundreds of thousands of American families as well with your well thought out philosophy on life.

Based on your experience.

So far.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl