View Single Post
Old 09-28-2008, 09:36 PM

Re: What is worse? Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S. View Post
Wow, I really gotta read this book... if I haven't already.
It is a truly amusing and oddly interesting book. They call it the bible and you can find it in almost any store these days......

Quote:
Would you accept that a majority of people feel a young adult is throwing away a useful part of their youth by taking on a child before say, college or a decent career? Not only would this college or career expand this potential parents' maturity and pocketbook, but if taken in this order the world is more of an oyster and less of a clam?
Do I accept people feeling this way, essentially yes. What I fail to accept is the reason the need to feel this way especially when it isn't even their problem. This actually brings in the whole other issue of people who aren't even parents dictating those who are. People babbling on and on about what is abusive and good/bad parenting when they themselves have never had a child to care for to observe the behavior parents are faced with.

Quote:
Maybe "throwing away" is a bit strong of a term but let's be real, said future parent would be out a looooot of free time and be at a severe disadvantage in the modern workforce waiting for college after a birth.
Yes, it takes a lot of your time to be a parent, uh duh? But what are they otherwise wasting time on.... I am not at all calling college a waste of time, but first off, when did college become out of the question? With the number of online classes available and the expanding number of schools with flexible schedules, why do we assume they have to put their own life on hold? Moving up on this same issue, it disgusts me when I hear married couples or even divorced parents go on about how they were "in it for the kids". One of the challenges that is even more prominent than financial stability is the parents relationship with one another and their individual ability to still be an individuals. Sorry, but as a kid who grew up under a "dysfunctional marriage" followed by a "separated family" I would much prefer to have two separated families than a pair of parents who cannot stay out of each others throats.

So again, can I accept how people feel about this? Yes, and it's exactly the problem I am attempting to address.