View Single Post
Old 09-08-2008, 02:53 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Re: "precious Reduex"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingElse View Post
Its red, just like the other 299 of them

the clearcoat has been peeling very severely badly majorly totally.
Well first of all you should be looking for a good bodyshop place. They are the experts in this and not you and me.

I am no expert in this, but sometimes when you look at paintjobs on cars, especially silver, you can notice a difference in color from one part to another. This is due to the fact that they save on materials in some areas of a car where they leave small dots and spots on bondo and do not apply the basecoat before paint. The final paintjob would look dark in some spots and light in other....

This subject has been opened before on the forum, I say again I am no expert in this, but for my next paintjob I will ask for the following:

- Doing the bodywork first.
- Applying bondo and sanding it
- Applying the basecoat, twice.
- Sanding it again and check for issues
- Applying bondo again and sanding it.
- Two basecoats again, sanding them to perfection
- Two coats of dark silver
- Checking for issues, maybe sanding it if any imperfections exist
- Four layers of Silver
- Four layers of clearcoat
- Sanding (1500) the clearcoat and remove bugs and impurities
- One final layer of clearcoat
- After a month, polishing the car.

I think one of the good brands you have is Dupont, but German paints are reputed to having the smallest paint particules and best in the world. The smaller the particule the smoother the paint looks and feels Factory

I again say I might be wrong, I am no expert in this, I think you should be asking Jerry...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.