View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008, 02:55 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: The Road to Topeka - Chike's official 2008 Autocross Blog Thread (B-stock Mazda R

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSVX View Post
Chike, how many miles on your RX-8 now? Are they reliable cars?
What is their warranty - - 4yrs/50K?
How would you lift your rear driver-side wheel in post #89?
I have an '05 RX-8 GT, so I'll chime in as well.

My RX-8 has been reliable so far, but I've only put 5k miles on it. Right now it's at 29k, and I expect I'll put well under 10k on it per year. This year has been a little atypical, since I had to get it home from FL.

My fuel consumption is abysmal, but I don't have a very typical commuting situation. I only have to drive 1mi to work, so the car isn't even warmed up when I get here. Anyway, I get about 10mpg in town and I've only seen as high as 23-24 on the freeway. Typically I get less than that.

I forgive the car its bad mileage because I still only need gas every two weeks. Could I be buying less gas with another car? Of course, but that other car wouldn't make whiny screamy noises.

I don't think that the RX-8 is built to Toyota, Honda or Subaru standards. It's less consistent than that. For example, the suspension is very nicely made, but then they don't secure or protect wires as well as I'm used to. The doors rattle some when I close them.

But the thing is fantastic fun to drive.

They're great value used. Mine was less than three years old when I bought it, with 25k miles on it, and it had lost half its value.

I don't love the stock 18" wheels. They look just fine, I just wish they weren't so big. 18" tires cost so much more.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE