View Single Post
Old 07-04-2008, 01:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
Re: Car eats coolant like a fat person eats donuts!

Is there a noticeable fume color coming out of your exhaust? From my experience, on the most severe end of things you have a faulty head gasket (which I highly doubt). SIDE NOTE: Antifreeze gives off a white smoke, when I dealt with my radiator issues, where my fluid was literally spewing from the radiator spout, once it got into the engine bay there were plumes of white smoke, could barely even see.

On the other hand, your thermostat may be defective, where did you purchase it? Are you sure it is installed correctly? There is a small hold/pin that needs to be at 12 o clock when installed, if not the thermostat will not operate correctly. I have heard of a few members having purchased brand new thermostats both from autozone/advanced auto parts/pep boys AND Subaru that were defective from the start, i'd start there. Also, when you had the timing belt done was the water pump also done? this could also be a culprit, seized waterpump.

Other than that, when you fill up your radiator (50/50 split, half water half antifreeze) make sure the heat is on.