View Single Post
Old 08-26-2002, 09:21 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Smile

I'm of the same mindset as Billisa. I can't understand the rush to throw money at a big ticket item that can lose 15% of its value as soon as you sign up to buy it. "I have some great stock called Enron. I'll sell to you today $50 a share, & in 10 years, it'll be worth 10 cents". "Oooh - then I better buy a lot of it". Hmmmm.

I first saw the car at an auto-show in '91, I guess. First reaction - Space ship, 30K - I'll pass, just as I've always passed on Maseratis & Ferraris.

Five years or so later, I'm in a shopping center parking lot & I spot a Pearlie. For some reason I really notice the windows, & I remember my first viewing at the show. Hmmmm... I peek inside. SUEDE, Holy Crap! REALLY distinctive looking, but probably still worth 20K. I do nothing.

Two years later, I spot a teal pulling into a business establishment. I follow it, & chase the owner. "How do you like it, I ask". "Love it, but had to replace the (guess) at 60K.

I now start to research the car via internet links & Yahoo. I still wasn't scared away, even with Maria's weekly parts meltdown vividly documented. I correspond with a couple of SVX owners (Joeaux was one).
I notice that the prices for these beasts, were not only a bargain, but were totally inconsistant. Now I'm on a mission. I WILL make this my next car, & I will NOT spend more than $7,500.00. This is 25% of list, & approaching my rule of "Never spend more than 3K for wheels, ever". I made the exception, however, because I simply wanted one BAD!
So, after watching local classifieds for several months, the batmobile appeared at the right price & condition & it's been mine for 18 months, & I ain't one bit sorry.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.