View Single Post
Old 06-15-2008, 09:45 PM

Questions about selling my car.

Hello everyone,

I was not sure where to post this, and I thought this was a better place then the actual "For Sale" area. Please forgive me if it's in the wrong area.

After MANY years it's time for me to sell my 1996 LSi and I need some advise. Specifically, I'm looking for advise on what I should and should not do prior to selling. That being said let me fill you in on the history of my car, and why it's time to sell.

Nearly 6 years ago I took a job in Charlotte, NC but lived in Greenville, SC. At the time I had a 1997 M3 and I didn't want to put 250+ miles per week on it so I sold it and bought another one of the cars I'd always wanted, an SVX. I bought my 1996 Polo Green SVX in from a guy in Atlanta and it had 60,000 miles at the time. The car was great and I drove it daily for 4.5 years and an additional 60K miles until I started having some problems with the car. Since I needed a four door anyways, I parked the SVX and bought my fathers 1998 Volvo. It’s been sitting ever since, waiting for my time to fix it. I have not found that time in 2 years, hence the selling part… I’d rather sell the car to an SVXer that is aware of the issues and has the knowledge to fix them. If I were to sell it locally, I’d feel obligated to get the car straightened out first.

So, here are the details on the car:

The Good:
  • It’s a Polo Green 1996 LSi…
  • Body is in great condition, no rust
  • New front Subaru struts and Subaru Strut mounts (just installed)
  • Fairly new rotors/pads all around
  • AC is ice cold
  • 120K miles (see below)
  • Tranny has no signs of slippage, problems, etc
  • Nice Dual DIN stereo (CD/Tape… I still have the OEM units somewhere…)

The Bad:
  • Oil drips are causing the car to smoke. Dealership states it’s the front cam seals and the left valve cover. The car does not BURN oil, it just drips pretty badly.
  • Left front driveshaft is making noise when turning..
  • Paint on spoiler is shot… It’s flaking off on the edges.
  • Paint on the hood and roof has faint water “rings” that were there when I go it… (I think its acid rain damage)
  • Paint on left rear bumper has been rubbed off.
  • Timing belt is due. The previous owner replaced it, but that was at 60K miles ago. I have the parts, I just have not had the time nor inclination to fix it.
  • Rear headrests are starting to fade.
  • Minor wear on the driver side seat bolster, but no splits anywhere
  • 120K miles (see above)
So, given the listed problems, what does everyone think the car is worth?

Thanks in advance everyone.