View Single Post
Old 06-04-2008, 05:42 PM
Tech & Almost Lawyer

If I understand correctly, their claim has to do with the molecular structure of the same number of molecules. Here's a VERY rough example of a water molecule...

The makeup that Aquygen is suggesting is something like this...

H-H-O

...hence the HHO name. Now from what I understand from my chemistry and quantum mechanics, the HHO configuration would either be impossible, or extremely difficult to achieve, requiring plenty of energy to get it to that level. If you did get it there, it would prove to be quite unstable, wanting to revert to the stoichiometric balance of water.

There is such a thing as an oxyhydrogen (not sure if that's what it's called) torch. But the process is different. In that case, picture a typical oxyacetylene torch setup. Instead of running acetylene, you run pure hyrdrogen. When the two mix, they once again strive to get to the point of making water. In the process, a good deal of energy is released, creating the heat to make the torch usable with the only byproduct being water. The problem with equating that to automotive combustion is that the hydrogen used in the torch is H2, which is the stable version of hydrogen. It takes a good deal of energy to get two hydrogen molecules to join together like that. Backing up to look at the big picture....you put in a ****-ton of energy to make H2, then mix it with O2 to make energy and water. For the chemically inclined...

2 H2 + O2 → 2 H2O + Energy

If there were any merits to the claims this company was making, 90% of the cars on the market today would be hydrogen cars. The high amounts of energy to make H2 is the primary reason there's not more out there now. Hydrogen cars are easy to make and keep running. Making the hydrogen to power them, however, is more costly than the fuel we use everyday.

You'd be better off installing one and putting the warning label on for one these...