View Single Post
Old 06-03-2008, 05:48 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx View Post
Harvey, I apologize ahead of time for not purchasing your kit when we talked PM (before I had the Level 10 done). I wasn't sure it was doing what Tina charts suggests. As for the bolded area above, I just wanted to confirm the time you suggested from the time I plotted on my dyno chart from a previous post.

Just pointing out the 4mph you were talking about above, is what I noticed as well. That is significant to me.

I am still wondering why the 2nd to 3rd gear shift is not as powerful as 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 4th. Same 'issue' I have. I still do not like my 2nd-3rd gear shift even though it is still good. The 'neck-snapping' shift is not there or as apparent as the other gear shifts.
Giday Kevin, no need to do that mate, you were not the only one to not realise its operation, there were others, it probably did seem a bit too good to be true.

The differences in the 1-2 and 2-3 changes is, when the box is in first the forward clutch is on, to go to second the brake band only has to be applied, the forward clutch is still used. If the band slips a bit or it is late to apply, the box is still in first so you won't notice it, you just get a later change.

The 2-3 change is different. The band has to be released, and the high clutch has to be applied. This takes a bit of timing, both with the valve body and the TCU. If the band is released before the high clutch comes on, it will 'flare', (actually it still has the forward clutch on, so it goes back to first), till the high clutch comes on to go to 3rd. So it doesn't have the snap action of just applying the band, it takes a bit of shuffling to do.
Older 3 speed boxs did this change over using the same applied pressure, releasing the band and applying the high clutch with the same applied pressure. Because our 4 speed uses the band again for 4th, it has a much more involved release/apply system. Hence the reason for the difference in the changes.

The 3-4 change is a bit like the 1-2, as the high clutch is still on and the band is applied to hold the front sun gear. If the band slips in 4th, it just goes back to 3rd. But only having to apply the band, gives the same snappy change as 1-2.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.