View Single Post
Old 05-13-2008, 03:46 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Sure it must be the unions fault that the average Japanese autoworker makes more than a union US autoworker does and has for nearly 25 years though not by much when you take cost of living into the equation. Unions have done more for you and your generation than you seem to remember. There are plenty of downsides to unionization just as there are upsides.
Wrong--R O N G--Wrong. The Japanese workers are just now catching up with out union workers and that is why you see more Japanese assembly plants in the US now and reason for the Japanese economy slippage in the last decade. But, Japanese unions are not the same as US unions--they are vertical unions instead of trade and have more of their companies interests at heart than our workers. Ours have very little company loyalty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Last time I checked (have to ask the guy who spend much of his life building plants) not a single plant was built by the government.
No kidding--I didn't know that. When I said "WE" I meant the US. Our companies were effectively precluded from building any plants by licensing red tape and environmental restrictions. The government chose not to let companies build the plants. I advocate government providing incentives to build, but at the same time pushing the industry toward the application of current technologies that greatly reduce the amount of nuclear waste while increasing plant safety.

Oh, now Bush is to blame for nuclear plants not being built for how many years is it??? Get real!!!

If you think election of Nader or someone like him would significantly change things you are smoking rope or have been dead or asleep all your life. The president is essentially powerless without congressional support of HIS party AND a percentage of the other party. Veto of significant legislation would only increase the legislative inaction versus solve the problem. It would probably end up in total gridlock on controversial issues.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Last edited by lhopp77; 05-13-2008 at 05:42 PM.