View Single Post
Old 05-07-2008, 12:44 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
word, words wording...

This has been discussed... several times over.

Yes the Brembo's bolt to our hub. Yes the radius of the caliper changes and a bigger rotor would need to be fitted. NO you cannot just get a larger diameter rotor made because it will not clear the caliper.

Shotgunslade is right 100%. If you can lock up your brakes (anti-lock kicks in) your brakes are sufficient for the street. If you experience brake fade, you need new fluid and a high boiling temp fluid must be used with a full system flush(not just a canister fill). IF and ONLY IF you are still experiencing brake fade, you should look into different pads... Ceramics are good, but their temp ranges are finicky, semi-metalics are very good but they eat rotors and dust like crazy... There are plenty of different kinds of pads, each with its own compromises to made.

Now if you have experimented with all this and your calipers are 100% it may be time to upgrade the brakes to something larger. I personally found my silver to have significant fade when I tracked it but I am also a rookie and used my brakes excessively. For a street car, the right combo of fluid/rotors/pads and good calipers will make all the difference and you will not need any kind of upgrade. For a tracked car, try doing what you can with the brakes you have, trust me, they are not as bad as they are made out to be by people who have no idea. I have driven several SVXi that can stop on a dime, the most notable would be Shotgunslade's car.

Tom