Thread: 285 whp!
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008, 10:00 AM
Registered fabricator

A tiny update.

The customized large-plenum intake manifold has been test-fitted and the engine run. No tuning or dyno time was performed, as an interesting dilemna showed itself.

When the throttle is blipped, the plenum top and bottom plate (.125" 5052 aluminum) gets sucked inwards by almost 1/2". I don't really see how a piece of (roughly) 10" x 10" aluminum plate that's .125" thick bends so much, but it un-nerved Jack enough that he removed the intake and never bothered to dyno the car for fear of cracking the intake @ the welds and sucking broken-off material into the engine. So the intake plenum will have to be revised somewhat, probably with some centrally located supports welded in place. Then it will get dynoed. I think it will be promising.

I'm almost thinking this is showing that the twin TB's are restricting the flow to the intake, although that is admittedly a bit tough to fathom as they're pretty darn big. But then again I have nothing else to compare it to...I have never run another EG33 with cams and headwork so I can't really comment on the VE potential of this engine when all the mods are in place.

Another interesting side effect is the induction noise at idle is now significant. You can truly hear the camshaft overlap pulses inside the plenum. I guess the stock plenum divider wall significantly dampened the pulses previously.

I'm open to comments and input from other forum members.

EG33 Impreza tweaks